Subject: Re: exec
From: Joel Corn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 1994 09:24:25 -700 (PDT)

On Sun, 3 Jul 1994 [email-masked] wrote:

> What is the command EXEC?
> I am looking for a way to execute external programs or send DOS
> commands and someone suggested this command.
> Is it documented in BUM 6?
> I just bought Blitz about two weeks ago and the issues were 1-5.

You must be referring to the dos.library Execute command. First of all, 
get the RKM's (Rom Kernal Manuals). At the very least get the 
Includes&Autodocs and the Libraries. These two alone should be able to 
answer a lot of your questions.
 
Now, how to execute external programs or send DOS commands. Like so:

command$="List DF0:"+CHR$(0) <--- Your command must be a string terminated
                                  w/CHR$(0). This is known as a 
                                  NULL-terminated string

Execute_ &command$,0,0 <--- This is what does it. Execute_ , and this is
                            how you type it in Blitz, has 3 parameters.
                            Parameter 1 is the command string. Think of it
                            as a line you'd type in a CLI. Parameters 2 and
                            3 are the input and output file handles. You can
                            leave these at 0 if you don't want to interact
                            with or see results from the Execute_ command.

There's another command, for 2.0 and above, called SystemTagList_ , which 
is more advanced than Execute_, but get the RKM's FIRST! Let me know if 
you need more help with this.
 
> And one last thing...What is this TextEntryGadget I just read about?
> It sounds like just the thing I need for something I am writing.
> Thanx all...
 
Where did you just read about it? If it's gadtools, yep, it's there. Read 
BUM#5 or get the RKM's. What are you trying to do?

Joel 

*****************************************************************************
* Joel A. Corn - Owner/Head Programmer              [email-masked] *
* DarkSoft Computers/DarkSoftWare                            1-509-886-0581 *
*****************************************************************************